APPROVED on 1/14/14
CB2 hearing: 09/16/2013
LPC hearing: 09/17/2013
LPC meeting: 01/14/2014
Gansevoort Market Historic District
Between Gansevoort and West 15th Streets
Image courtesy of Google Street View
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the LPC agenda: A street grid, including part of the c. 1790 irregular street pattern and the
1811 street grid plan. Application is to install curbing, paving, raised pedestrian plazas, planting beds, benches, and lighting.
2) LPC Designation Report: A background of this area’s development is available in the designation report.
3) Photos of the application: Available in PDF after the upcoming Community Board 2 hearing.
4) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like GVSHP to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.
- 1/15/14: Application approved at yesterday’s LPC public meeting, and is now closed. The applicant is keeping the Bishop’s Crook light poles at their historic curb locations and will not be placing them anywhere else. They will also be maintaining the curb line; installing a bike path in the middle of the street; adding crosswalks that match those approved in the DUMBO Historic District; recycling about 85% of the existing cobbles and preserving the cobble patterns (a survey was completed to document existing patterns); saving existing granite; adding movable painted black steel planters rather than fixed (and there will be about 36% less planters than what was first proposed). Please note: these notes are based on what we took at yesterday’s meeting and may not be complete; for more information please fill out a Records Access Request at LPC.
- 1/10/14: Application scheduled for LPC public meeting on 1/14. No testimony is taken, but the public is welcome to attend.
- 9/18/13: At yesterday’s public hearing, the LPC commissioners took a vote of no action. They expressed concerns over the proposed lighting and planters, as they felt they did not relate to the gritty, industrial history of the Meatpacking District. They seemed to be okay with the rest of the proposal. The applicant (DOT) will present their revisions at a future public meeting, date TBD.
- 9/9/13: This application was laid over at LPC and is scheduled to be heard on 9/17. It will be presented at CB2 on 9/16 at 6 P.M. (first item on the agenda) at Church of Our Lady of Pompeii, 25 Carmine Street, Father Demo Hall.