88 MacDougal Street

Application closed
Application approved on 12/14/10

MacDougal-Sullivan Gardens Historic District
Between Bleecker & West Houston Streets

APPLICATION:


A rowhouse built in 1844 and remodeled in the neo-Federal style by Hyde and Joannes in the 1920’s. Application is to construct a rooftop addition.

APPLICATION STATUS:


Status as of December 14th, 2010LATEST NEWS
The applicant presented the revised proposal to the Landmarks Preservation Commission at a public meeting on December 14th. The revisions included changing the proposed material of the penthouse to glass and steel (as opposed to stucco, which was originally proposed) and reducing the size of the proposed penthouse by narrowing it on the sides. The height did change from what was originally proposed, nor did the depth the penthouse would be set back from the front and rear facades. The Commission voted to approve the revised application.

Photos of the revised application are below:


Status as of December 10th, 2010
:
The applicant will be returning to the Landmarks Preservation Commission with the revised proposal on December 14th, 2010.

Status as of July 27th, 2010:
The applicant presented the proposal to the Landmarks Preservation Commission at a public hearing in July 27th, 2010. The Commissioners agreed that since the rear communal garden is such a significant part of this historic district, the rooftop addition should be scaled back in size, set back and/or lowered so that it would be minimally visible from rear. They also thought that the addition should be painted a darker color than is proposed, and that it should be centered on top of the building.  The Commission asked the applicant to incorporate these comments into a revised design and return at a later date TBD. At this time, the public comment period for this application has closed.

Status as of July 19th, 2010:
At the July 19th Community Board 2 Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee meeting, the applicant presented a proposal that will be shown to the Landmarks Preservation Commission on July 27th, 2010. The proposal is to construct a rooftop addition that will be clad in beige stucco and will have painted steel windows. Photos are below:

To read the entire 1967 Designation Report for MacDougal-Sullivan Gardens Historic District (published by the Landmarks Preservation Commission), please click here.