CB2 hearing: 11/13/2017
LPC hearing: 11/28/2017 – laidover
LPC hearing: 12/05/2017 – laidover
LPC hearing: 01/09/2018 – no action
LPC meeting: 04/24/2018 – no action
LPC meeting: 05/15/2018
Between East 12th Street and East 13th Street
Image courtesy of Google Street View
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the CB2 agenda: Application is to construct a multiple story setback addition on the roof.
2) View the application: Second revised version 05/15/2018 Available in PDF; Revised version 04/24/2018 Available in PDF; Expanded original version: Available in PDF; original version: Available in PDF.
3) View CB2 Resolution: Available in PDF.
4) View the video: A curated list of LPC videos of these presentations from March 2014 onward can be found on our YouTube page. Click HERE to view the video from 01/09/2018, HERE to view the video from 04/24/2018 and HERE to view the video from 05/15/2018. Please note that the LPC posts these videos about a week after the presentation. Videos include the applicant’s presentation, public testimony (for hearings only), and deliberation by the LPC commissioners.
5) View LPC Permit: Available in PDF.
6) LPC designation report: Available in PDF.
7) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like GVSHP to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
Please note: All LPC public hearings and public meetings are held at the Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th floor north, public hearing room (unless otherwise noted).
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.
05/15/2018: At today’s public meeting, this application was approved by the LPC with the recommendation that the applicant use a cladding material on the addition over 47 East 12th Street that is truly matte in its finish.
04/24/2018: At today’s public meeting, the LPC took no action and asked that the applicant return with a revised application at a future public meeting. Many of the Commissioners felt that the facted glass design of the facades of the rooftop addtion was not reflective of the abstract expressionist movement as was the stated intention. Some still questioned the massing and one asked that it be reduced by a floor.
01/09/2018: At today’s public hearing, the LPC took no action and asked that the applicant return with a revised application at a fuure public meeting. The Commissioners asserted that the size and visibility of the addition was simply too great, and that while the idea behind the design might be admirable in some respects, it was too busy and distracting to sit comfortably atop the building. It was recommended that the addition be pushed back further (one Commissioner recommended from the current 28 feet to something like 40 feet) and/or the height be reduced (the same Commissioner recommended a story — the current proposal is for a 4-story addition atop the 4-story buildings), and that the design be simplified and made “calmer.”