APPROVED with modifications
NoHo Historic District
Between Astor Place and East 4th Street
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the LPC agenda: A neo-Classical style garage, factory and warehouse building built in 1917-19 designed by Wm. Steele and Sons Co. with a c. 1980 rooftop addition. Application is to establish a Master Plan governing the future installation of roof-top mechanical equipment.
2) LPC Designation Report: An architectural and historical description of the building is available in the designation report.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing: Monday, July 30, 2012 at 6:30pm at
The NYU Silver Center, 32 Waverly Place, Room 401
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2’s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application).
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission public hearing: Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012 at time TBD at
The Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th Floor North, public hearing room
On the Friday afternoon before the hearing, please check the LPC public calendar on the right-hand side of their website for the approximate hearing time (we recommend that you arrive 30 minutes prior). Note that items can sometimes be postponed (laid over) to a future date. At this hearing, the Commission will officially vote to approve or deny the application, or ask that the applicant return at a later date with revisions. Public attendance and testimony are welcome (note: this will most likely be the last opportunity for public comment on this application).
3) Email Community Board 2 or the Landmarks Preservation Commission
If you cannot attend the public hearings but would still like to comment, please click here to contact the Community Board or the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Be sure to send them your comments before the hearing dates indicated above.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
Latest News – October 16, 2012: This application was approved with modifications at today’s LPC public meeting, and is now closed. The Commission had concerns about giving blanket approval to any future mechanical equipment, but came to an agreement that the additions will not detract from the original building because of the c. 1980 additions on top.
August 7, 2012: This application was heard at the LPC today. The commissioners felt that the master plan was too ambiguous to approve and would like to see a design before a decision is made. They have asked the applicant to return to a future public meeting, date TBD.
This application was heard at CB2 on July 30th and is next scheduled to be heard at the LPC on August 7th. Public testimony welcome at that time.