Application approved on 11/09/10
Greenwich Village Historic District
Between West 4th Street & Waverly Place
A brick rowhouse built in 1845. Application is to modify alterations performed at the rear facade in non-compliance with Certificate of No Effect 02-1910.
This application is closed. Application approved November 9th, 2010.
Status as of November 9th, 2010: LATEST NEWS
At the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s public hearing on November 9th, the Commission voted to approve the application.
Status as of November 1st, 2010:
At the Community Board 2 Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee meeting on November 1st, the applicant presented a proposal that will be heard at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on November 9th. The application is to alter and legalize changes that were made to the rear of the house in violation of the Landmarks Law.
According to the applicant, the sequence of events that led to this violation is as follows:
In 2001, when the house was under prior ownership, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved (under Certificate of No Effect 02-1910) the demolition of certain aspects of the rear façade for alteration work:
However, the owner at the time did not obey that permit and illegally performed a more massive demolition of the rear façade and constructed a large mahogany bay window:
In 2008, the house was purchased by the current owners, who performed repair work on the bay window by replacing the wood with metal. This is when they were granted a Notice of Violation:
The current owner is now proposing to alter and legalize the existing rear facade: