Application approved on 06/08/10
Between West 3rd & West 4th Streets
A Federal style house built in 1828-1829. Application is to alter a window on the front facade.
This application is closed. Application approved June 8th, 2010.
Status as of June 8th, 2010: LATEST NEWS
At the public hearing on June 8th, 2010, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the application.
Status as of June 1st, 2010:
Though originally scheduled for June 1st, the public hearing on this application was postponed at the last minute until June 8th.
Status as of May 26th, 2010:
This application will be shown to the Landmarks Preservation Commission at a public hearing on June 1st. According to the applicant, the existing show window was recently vandalized and smashed. The application is therefore proposing to replace this existing window (which has a muntin in the center diving two panes) with a single-pane window. The gold leaf painted signage on the window would be replicated exactly, but would be in the center of the new window. Below are photos of the existing exterior and interior window conditions:
Except for the change from double-pane to single pane and the new location of the signage, the proposed window would appear exactly the same from the outside. The difference would be visible only on the inside, where the window would be installed similarly to a garage door so that the glass could be lifted. The applicant has provided inspiration photos for this proposal (note that the inspiration photos show an entire wall being lifted; for this proposal, the applicant is proposing to install a system to lift the window glass only):
To read the entire 2004 Designation Report for 129 MacDougal Street (published by the Landmarks Preservation Commission when they designated the building an individual landmark), please click here.